April 8, 2013

Sunday dinner.

Most weeks we do family dinner on Sunday. I make a side dish, salad or desert to go to my in-laws for wine, gourmet meals and great conversation. The standard affair always runs 3-4 hours long -- which can be cumbersome, but the pros definitely outweigh the cons.

Yesterday was an extra special Sunday dinner.  We had grilled catfish and scallops, salad, green beans, toasted french bread and two bottles of wine. We share the week's stories, talk controversy and they get updates on my family. 

And this week, we watched home videos.

My brother-in-law took the home movies from childhood and had them converted to CD chapters and it was probably the best gift that I think anyone could receive.

For an hour I watched my husband as a seven-year-old encouraging his little brother, taking baths, eating cake and looking absolutely adorable. I could see everything that I love about this family in those movies made so long ago. I didn't mean to get emotional, but when Grandpa (that I was never privileged to meet) picked up the boys and gave them a squeeze and a kiss, my heart melted, and that's where it stayed through the rest of the videos.

Days like this one really make me miss my family, just for this simple time together. 

P.S. My brother called from Afghanistan. It made my week.

P.P.S I was presented the opportunity to dress like a bear on Saturday night. It was awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment