January 18, 2013

Jacob Ross.

The most awful kid to babysit.
A wirey and scrappy little punk. 
Smart mouthed.
Stubborn.
A white Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. SERIOUS.
Fast.
Always trying to prove that he is not in anyone's shadow.
Quietly thoughtful.
Strong-willed.
Sweetly emotional.
Entertaining.
Humble.

That's my little-brother, Jacob, and there is one more week until he leaves for Texas, and from there to Afghanistan. It's a time when everyone keeps saying, "I thought we were bringing them home." So did we.

When he told us a year ago that he would be going, we grappled with anger first. Anger at him for joining the Army Reserves, for volunteering his life, for believing that he didn't think of all the hearts that would break because of the hold he has over us. It was a selfish hurt that I think we were entitled to carry for a few moments.

When we were little, our brother and sister would team up against us for every game or vicious fight, but Jacob and I were naturally close and just as tough together. We always had people to play with, there were four of us and we did almost everything together (our parents really did give us the best childhood).

Jacob (who hates when I don't call him Jake) has always understood what I was trying to be about. When I fought, when I cried or screamed at my family, was tormented by shitty boyfriends, struggling with the competition that happens with a twin in high school, or when I made stupid mistakes, this little brother of mine always made me laugh and asked for advice. As we've grown up, I still feel protective over him and I still love that he tells me his secrets and fears. 

But, I've also seen what a wonderful man he has become; a wise, disciplined and intuitive husband and Sergeant.

And while my fear hasn't faded and the tears sprout a few times a day, I think that I would add to the list; admirable, proud, strong -- alongside my overwhelming sense of love and protectiveness.

So, we are having a party to showcase all the people that will miss him while he's over in that thousand degree shithole. Food, booze, barn-style cornhole, laughter, and all the necessary means to make sure he knows how loved he is. Something to take with him, and protect him.

Thank you Troops, for all that you have done and continue to do for us.



2 comments:

  1. Wow! The parent's dream, to have her children get along (with some exceptions including holes in the walls), to grow up and love each other and be affectionate and appreciative and supportive on every level. Pride is truly such a general term for profound, levitating warmth of the heart, the soul, and mind. Thank you children!

    ReplyDelete